In 1950, the then Bishop of Pune, Rt. Rev. Andrew D’Souza, invited the Sisters of the Congregation of the Carmelite Religious to run St. Joseph’s Primary School. Rev. Fr. A. Fernandez was appointed as the Parish priest and Manager of the school. It was also proposed at the same time to raise the school to a High School.
Sister M. Helena, Sr. M. Celine and Sr. M. Faith arrived at Solapur to nurture the growth of St. Joseph’s School. A small Convent was opened on 29th May, 1950 in the school campus. It was named ‘Little Flower Convent’
Where there is God there is Truth, where there is truth, there is knowledge. Knowledge nourishes the heart, mind and soul of man and leads him from darkness to light.
Sr. M. Helena, lost no time in acquiring permission to open Std. V. The sapling began to grow rapidly under the able administration, the efficiency and dedication of the sisters. When Mother M. Helena was transferred, Mother M. Anacleta took her place and Sr. M. Patricia joined as the Headmistress. So dedicated and persevering were our Sisters that by 1953, the sapling had grown to a full-sized tree. St. Joseph’s was now St. Joseph High School, with classes I to XI.
Being the only English medium school then, it was much sought after in Solapur and contributed substantially to the educational growth of the city — all thanks to the devoted efforts of the Sisters, especially the Superiors, Sr. M. Celine, Sr. M. Alberta, Sr. M. Edith and headmistresses Sr. M. Gloria and Sr. M. Faith.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
For twenty years, the Sisters strove to elevate the standard and reputation of the school. The end of these years saw the dawn of a new growth on the tree. When the Laxmi Vishnu Mills put up their four sprawling bungalows at Civil Lines , for sale, the Sisters bought one of them with a huge compound. The deal was finalized in 1969. It was named Little Flower Convent.
The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe around us, the less taste we shall have for destruction.
On 9th June, 1970 the new annexure of the school was inaugurated at 19, Civil Lines. The admissions were taken for Junior KG and the KG class. Children sat for their lessons in the bungalow’s spacious verandas with trellis- work, facing a neat lovely & shady garden. The school at Civil Lines was named Little Flower Convent High School, in 1976.
Meanwhile, the school building continued its expansion to a first floor and later a second floor, to provide more classrooms for the increasing class divisions. The Sisters played a significant role in raising the standard of the academic and extra-curricular activities of the school as well as it’s infrastructure.
The Principals who have nourished the school were Sr. Faith, Sr. Ferdinand, Sr. Sabina, Sr. Veron, Sr. M. Lilian, Sr. Ansela Sr. Vira D’Sa, Sr. Clare, Sr. Telma & of present Sr. Alphonsa Stanley.
You can’t live your whole life behind books about the sea, you must go out and see the sea in all its beauty.
Stepping back into the 1980’s, as the strength of the school increased owing to the excellent SSC results and quality education provided, new classrooms were needed to accommodate more divisions for the students.
A second block of a 3 — storied building was constructed then, including an office block. Further expansion saw the erection of the third block , an annexure to the second. This houses the Pre-primary classes, storerooms and a beautifully well equipped spacious Library. This block is topped by an auditorium, to facilitate the many extra-curricular activities.
But what is even more noteworthy is the emergence of the 5th block — for Primary Section ( I to IV ). A three storeyed building with basement, a large Computer Department and spacious classrooms.
God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.
Today Little Flower Convent High School enjoys a covetous position among educational institutions in Solapur. The school has nearly always produced cent percent SSC results. It boasts of strength of approximately 3000 odd students and staff of over 75. Its infrastructure includes well-equipped Library and Laboratory, and up to date Computer Department and Audio visual room fitted with LCD projector , a large Auditorium and a huge stage outdooors to conduct open-air events and activities.
Thus from the ashes of strife and struggle have grown the roses of success. Indeed ‘Little Flower’ the Patron-Saint of the school has showered roses from heaven upon this ‘temple of learning’. Long live Little Flower Convent High School, Solapur.